Source: Twitter The media-shy Robert owns Kuok Group, which has business interests in eight key divisions – properties, hospitality, logistics, media, maritime, commodities, environmental, and philanthropy.
Kuok Group manages, operates, and/or have investments in several companies based all over the world, including PPB Group Berhad, Federal Flour Mills (FFM) Berhad, Kerry Properties, Chemquest, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts (founded by Kuok in 1971), and Wilmar International, the largest listed palm oil trader company.
We’re pretty sure you’ve already heard that from 1959 to 2009, Kuok also founded and had a major stake in the Malayan Sugar Manufacturing Company (MSM). The company dominated 80% of the local sugar market and 10% of the world’s sugar market, hence earning Kuok the nickname ‘Sugar King of Asia’. Source: SCMP With such a diverse portfolio, there’s no doubt that we’ve come across some well-known brands that we probably didn’t know are owned by the business tycoon.
Below are 20 of the well-known brands owned by Robert Kuok, some under FFM Berhad and PPB Group Berhad as well!
1. Blacktop insecticide and mosquito coils
2. Blue Key flour
Also a product division under FFM Berhad, Blue Key carries a wide range of packaged flour – Self-Raising flour, Pau flour, and Superfine Superwhite multi-purpose flour.
3. Cap Sauh (or Anchor Brand) flour
Cap Sauh is one of the products manufactured under the Kuok Group-owned FFM Berhad.
4. Cocorex bleach
5. Golden Screen Cinemas (GSC)
Between 1982 to 1984, Kuok Group acquired a 34% stake in Shaw Brothers Malaysia. In 1987, the group entered into a joint venture with Hong Kong company Golden Harvest (International) Ltd to take over the cinema chain to form GSC, eventually buying over Golden Harvest’s stake to gain 100% equity over the chain.
Today, GSC is the largest cinema chain in Malaysia, operating in 36 locations nationwide.
6. Goodmaid household cleaning products
7. Jordan toothbrushes and oral care products
8. Kart’s frozen food
Kart’s range of frozen foods include roti canai, paus, doughnut, pizza, puffy pie, roti boom, and murtabak.
9. Krystal canola, corn, and sunflower seed cooking oils
10. Marina frozen food and canned food
11. Massimo bread and other baked goods
Aside from loaf bread, Massimo also offers cream rolls and chiffon cupcakes.
12. Neptune cooking oil
13. Orang Kampung Herbal energy drink
14. Seri Murni cooking oil, eggs, and frozen food
15. Shamu nata de coco and canned beverages
16. Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts
The first Shangri-La hotel, built in 1971 in Singapore, marked Kuok’s first foray into property and hotel development
Today, the chain owns five hospitality brands across different market segments (Shangri-La Hotels, Shangri-La Resorts, Traders Hotels, Kerry Hotels, and Hotel Jen) and has over 95 hotels and resorts in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, North America, and Australia.
17. Snow Brand infant formula, milk powder, and Neo Soft spread
18. S&P coconut milk and coconut cream powder
S&P also carried herbal soup spices as well as packaged ketupat
19. Star Brand food flavoring and coloring
20. V-Soy soybean milk Now that you’ve learned a little more about Robert Kuok, are you surprised like we were at discovering that he had a part in so many consumer brands?