If you travel a lot, chances are you have experienced living in a hotel room with an unexpected ‘occupant’, here’s a few typical ‘etiquette’ shared by typical travellers, to avoid any trouble!
Know that most of these paranormal beings you encounter may not mean any harm, but will still disturb you nonetheless. However, follow these few steps and chances are most ‘permanent residences’ might be kind enough to leave you alone.
1. Knock the door and say ‘Excuse Me’ before entering the room. It is a sign to show respect to the souls that is ‘staying’ inside so that we will not be disturbed. Knock for a few seconds and do not ever dash in without knocking!
2. Always keep the room in a mess and make yourself feel like you’re at home. This is a very ancient Chinese belief that they will not be comfortable in another person’s space.
3. Flush the toilet bowl and open up all the taps that you can find for a moment as soon as you enter the room.
4. Switch on the lights and make the room as bright as possible or open up the curtains (if checking in on a daytime). This way, it will let the soul to stay away from the bright environment for the period of stay.
5. Arrange your shoes upside down as it represents the ‘Ying & Yang’ in the Chinese belief. It is believe to keep you away from any disturbance at night when there is least activity.
6. Keep your bed occupied with your personal belongings like extra pillows, bolster and etc and keep it messy so there’s is no extra place for the soul’s to ‘occupy’