The new Ford GT has received an unexpected level of interest and demand from enthusiasts, as over 10,800 people have showed interest online in purchasing it. Indeed Ford has received 6,506 fully completed applications from buyers across the globe with the UK market alone accounting for over 500 applications, during the first one month application window to apply to purchase the new carbon fiber-based, EcoBoost-powered, supercar.
This number has seen its largest spike over the last week, with completion of 32 per cent of the total number of applications prior to the window’s closure.
Dave Pericak, director of Global Ford Performance, has said that, “We’re excited by the amount of enthusiasm fans are showing for the new Ford GT. This initial application window is just one of many ways fans and potential owners will have to connect with our all-new supercar even before it hits the streets.”
As they are now in the process of reviewing these 6,506 applications from potential supercar buyers, Ford will be getting in touch with potential owners over the next 90 days.
Hoping to increase their chances of obtaining one of the initial production run of 500 new Ford GTs, a significant number of potential buyers even included videos in their applications. To demonstrate why their creators should be given the chance to own an all-new Ford GT, some of the more creative videos featured lighting effects, racing footage, revving engines, life stories with children, and even garage tours.
Although the first application window has now been closed, fans and enthusiasts of the Ford GT can still show their passion by building and sharing virtual models of the supercar here , with almost 200,000 fan visits and creations so far. Ford expects to commence delivery of customer GTs by the final months of 2016.
“The Return” behind-the-scenes GT story
Additionally, the Ford GT’s dramatic 2016 return as both a road and race car will be documented in a five-part series which will be viewable on YouTube. Titled “The Return”, it will feature insights from company chairman Bill Ford, Product Development executive vice-president Raj Nair, and Ford Performance director Dave Pericak, and also demonstrate the Ford GT’s development and its motorsports adventures racing in both the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (North America) and FIA World Endurance Championship (global). Parts one to three of the following program schedule are now viewable at this link.
- Episode 1: “The Return: The Decision” – Bill Ford, Raj Nair and Dave Pericak discuss what it will take for the all-new Ford GT to be successful.
- Episode 2: “The Cutting Edge” – Ford GT represents the best and newest technology Ford has to offer – elements that will also benefit the full rnage of Ford automobiles.
- Episode 3: “Let’s Race” – The story of the Ford GT’s racing debut at the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona.
- Episode 4: “A Driver’s Perspective” – The story of the new Ford GT from the drivers’ point of view, including what it was like to be selected to compete at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (coming soon).
- Episode 5: “The Road to Le Mans” – The race to the starting line culminates at last at the 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans (coming soon).