Following the detection of two Covid-19 cases, Parliament will go into immediate lockdown with everyone present including staff, media and lawmakers barred from leaving the premises until mass swab tests are completed.
Deputy Dewan Rakyat Speaker Datuk Mohd Rashid Hasnon made the announcement soon after Parliament was due to resume its special sitting this afternoon.
“I have received a letter from the Health director-general dated July 29 that reads, ‘It is with regret that the Ministry of Health was informed on July 29 at 12pm of two Covid-19 cases detected in Parliament’.
“The first case is an official who was present for work in Parliament from Monday, July 26 until Wednesday, July 28 with the CT value of 18.7 high viral load and infectivity while the second case were found positive on Thursday, July 29, during a screening in Parliament using the RTK-Ag Saliva Test.
“Risk assessment based on preliminary investigations show both cases were in several locations in Parliament during that time. With that, Covid-19 mass screening will be done on all in attendance and are in Parliament Malaysia, including all members of Parliament, officers and workers.
“No one is allowed to leave Parliament until the results are obtained,” said Rashid, adding that the mass screening will be conducted at Parliament’s main block.
Rashid also said that today’s Dewan Rakyat sitting is postponed to 5:15pm.
Uproar broke out in the lower House of Parliament earlier after Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim read out the Istana Negara statement in which Yang Di Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah clarified that he had not assented to the revocation of the Emergency Ordinances (EO).
The King was responding to de facto Law Minister Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan who announced in Parliament on July 21 that the government had already revoked the EO.
Takiyuddin’s announcement took the Opposition lawmakers by surprise. They questioned the surreptitious revocation and demanded the resignation of both the PAS minister and Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin over the matter
Source : Malay Mail.
All Umno MPs must withdraw their support for Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin, party president Ahmad Zahid Hamidi announced today, hours after the fiasco over the emergency ordinances (EOs).
In a statement, he also called on Muhyiddin and law minister Takiyuddin Hassan to resign honourably after failing to get the King’s consent to revoke the EOs, despite announcing the revocation on Monday.
“This is clearly a form of treachery against the King while going against the Federal Constitution.
“Umno MPs must comply with the Umno Supreme Council’s decision on July 7 to withdraw support for Muhyiddin as prime minister.
“This is in line with the foundation and goal of Umno’s establishment, which is to always preserve and uphold the institution of the Malay Rulers, as enshrined under Article 3 of the Umno constitution,” he said.
Zahid added that Umno MPs must withdraw their support for the PM to fulfil their oaths taken as MPs, where they swore allegiance to the King and to defend the Federal Constitution at all times.
Earlier, Umno Supreme Council member Puad Zarkashi had echoed Zahid’s views, calling on all party members who are ministers and deputy ministers and those holding GLC positions to resign immediately in the wake of the controversy.
He also said the party’s MPs should apply to sit with the independent bloc at the Dewan Rakyat as a sign that they no longer supported the prime minister and the Perikatan Nasional-led government.
“The decision made at the Umno Supreme Council (meeting) was right. The prime minister and the PN government are irresponsible,” he said in a statement.
He added that it was unreasonable for ministers from Umno to attend Cabinet meetings to discuss any form of damage control.
“Don’t get involved anymore,” he said, adding that if Muhyiddin had any integrity, he should allow a motion of no confidence to be tabled at the sitting on Monday.