Kelantan fears a lockdown if the Covid-19 situation in the east coast state does not improve.
Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob said Covid-19 cases recorded in the state continued to increase in the last two weeks.
“Although at the moment, there is no discussion over the issue we (the state government) are ready if the Federal Government decides to make the move (lockdown).
“Whatever the decision made by the (Federal) Government, we will follow,” he told reporters after visiting the Covid-19 Quarantine and Treatment Centres (PKRC) for low-risk cases at SMK Salor here today.
Ahmad also said that the state government has no plan to buy the Covid-19 vaccine due to its high cost.
He added other states such as Sarawak might find the purchase of vaccine as affordable but not Kelantan.
“The state government could not afford to purchase the vaccine and therefore, we are willing to wait for our turn,” he said.
When met by reporters after visiting another PKRC at MPKB’s Silver Jubilee Hall, Ahmad said Kelantan’s coronavirus cases continued to remain in the three-digit range of late.
“There is no change over the last two weeks and Kelantan remains as the third highest state with Covid-19 cases in the country.
“I see that locals are still flouting the standard operating procedures (SOP). This can be seen at public places and shopping complexes.
“Hopefully, the public will give their cooperation to the relevant authorities by following the SOP strictly,” he added.
Source : NST
The Kelantan government has confirmed that it bought a Mercedes- Benz for use by Menteri Besar Ahmad Yakob, saying it is to replace the official car used since the administration of Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat, who was MB from 1990 to 2013.
Following a report which went viral on social media, the Kelantan Menteri Besar’s Office said the car was bought using a special allocation of RM400 million to the state.
It did not state the price or model of the car although the report, which showed a picture of the Mercedes-Benz bearing the number plate DV 1, was estimated to be worth nearly RM700,000.
The MB’s office said a statement had been made by the deputy menteri besar on Sept 12, 2018, that it was replacing the car.
The state government had decided to replace the official vehicles of the menteri besar and exco members in stages, it said, adding that some of the vehicles were 10 to 12 years old.
“The official vehicle of the menteri besar has been the vehicle used since the administration of menteri besar Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat, which was a gift from Sultan of Kelantan,” it added in a statement
Kelantan Pakatan Harapan chairman Husam Musa had reportedly criticised the move, saying the state government was buying luxury cars for use by its high-ranking officials while the state was facing financial difficulties.
Husam said the official car for the federal government is the Proton Perdana. – FMT