Syed Saddiq’s salary as Youth and Sports Minister and MP for Muar is approximately RM50,000 a month, excluding allowances like food allowance, housing allowance, travelling allowance, telephone allowance etc.
He was Minister for for 19 months between July 2018 – February 2020, before Langkah Sheraton happened.
19 months x RM50,000 = RM950,000
In March 2020, a robbery was reported at his house where RM250,000 was allegedly taken from his safe.
Saddiq made the police report himself.
He was not reported by other people.
He made the report himself.
Now four days before Parliament reconvenes, MACC says he swindled some money. And the case is based on the police report he made himself.
Can he afford to have a million in his safe?
Yes. His RM50,000/month salary speaks for itself.
Musa Aman freed of all 46 corruption, money-laundering charges
Former Sabah chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman was today acquitted and discharged of all 46 criminal charges linked to timber concessions contracts in the state.
This was after deputy public prosecutor Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid told the court that the prosecution is withdrawing all the corruption and money-laundering charges against the accused.
“The prosecution is withdrawing all charges in both (corruption and money-laundering) cases,” he said.
“There must be a finality, and this is why we urge the court for a proper decision and that can only be an acquittal out of fear that the accused would be charged again,” he said.
To support the application for acquittal, Francis referred to previous case files among others from the Independent Commission against Corruption of Hong Kong (ICAC).
He said in 2011, ICAC carried out investigations against Musa in which the commission found that no offence was committed and that no charges should be brought against Musa because no offence had been disclosed.
Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), he said, took a similar stand and this was also affirmed by former Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Ghani Patail in an affidavit filed by the defence.
Muhammad Jamil then granted Musa an acquittal and discharge of all 46 charges.
“The accused is therefore acquitted and discharged of the charges and his bail money to be returned,” he said.
The judge also vacated the trial dates which were previously fixed from September to November.
He also struck out two other applications made by the defence which were to strike out the charges against Musa as well as to challenge the constitutionality of Section 82(2) of the Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (Amlatfapuaa) 2001.
Later, after the proceedings, Francis expressed how delighted the defence was by the court’s decision.
“We are happy. We feel that it is a fair and correct decision,” he said.
Musa, 69, who is Sungai Sibuga assemblyman, was first brought to court on Nov 5, 2018 to face corruption charges and later on March 5, 2019, he was charged with 16 counts of money-laundering.
On the 30 counts of corruption, Musa in his capacity as Sabah chief minister and Sabah Foundation Board of Trustees chairman, allegedly received US$50.1 million from eight logging concessionaires as an inducement to approve logging concessions to 16 companies.
He was alleged to have committed the offences at eight banks and financial institutions in Hong Kong, China and Singapore between Dec 20, 2004, and Nov 6, 2008.
The charges framed under Section 11 (a) of the Anti-Corruption Act 1997 and punishable under Section 16 of the same act carries a maximum 20 years’ jail and fine of not less than five times the amount or value of the bribe or RM10,000, whichever is higher, upon conviction.
On the 16 money laundering charges, Musa allegedly instructed Richard Christopher Barnes to open an account at UBS AG Bank, Singapore, under the name of Richard Christopher Barnes, through which he intended to receive proceeds from illegal activities.
Musa also faces alternative charges of concealing proceeds from illegal activities.
On the second to ninth and 11th to 15th charges, Musa allegedly received US$37,845,491.60 in proceeds from illegal activities from several individuals through an account under Barnes’ name.
On the 10th charge, he allegedly received S$2.5 million in proceeds from illegal activities, through the same account.
Syed Saddiq would rather fight graft charges than support Perikatan Nasional gov’t
Popular politician Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman is all set to challenge the government after pleading not guilty to corruption charges he claims had to do with him resisting support for the Muhyiddin administration.
The former youth and sports minister, 28, was charged with criminal breach of trust this morning for allegedly misappropriating RM1 million worth of funds (over US$300,000) from the Bersatu political party led by Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin. He was accused of committing the offense while serving as Bersatu’s youth chief on March 6, 2020, via a CIMB Bank cheque, at the bank’s branch in KL Sentral.
“I will never sell my soul and principles to Perikatan Nasional,” Syed Saddiq said in a video responding to the accusation last night, adding that he would rather go to court than join Perikatan Nasional. He could be jailed, whipped, and fined if found guilty.
The court granted him a RM300,000 bail with one surety and ordered that he surrender his passport and report himself to the anti-graft agency office every month.
Syed Saddiq was also charged with misusing a RM120,000 donation from the 2018 general election campaign. For this offense, the court granted him RM30,000 bail with one surety, which was one-tenth of the amount requested by the prosecution. Syed Saddiq’s lawyer had questioned why the prosecution was seeking an amount higher than what his client was accused of stealing and went on to ask for a RM20,000 bail.
Syed Saddiq was represented by lawyers Gobind Singh Deo, Ambiga Sreenevasan, and Haijan Omar. The case will be heard again on Sep. 10.
Syed Saddiq, who used to be Malaysia’s youngest cabinet minister under Mahathir Mohamad’s leadership, alleged that he had been receiving threats from unspecified individuals pressuring him to join the ruling coalition. He currently heads his own party called MUDA – Malaysia’s first youth-based political party that sits on the opposition bloc.
An explosive claim by Syed Saddiq that was revealed in a court affidavit in January said that Home Minister Hamzah Zainudin had asked him to support the Perikatan Nasional-led government if he wanted MUDA to be officially registered. The discussion with the minister, who oversees the Registrar of Societies, happened when Syed Saddiq brought up the matter during a session at the Dewan Rakyat lower house of Parliament, he said. Hamzah is also the secretary-general for both Perikatan Nasional and Bersatu.
Opposition politician Hannah Yeoh from the Democratic Action Party was among those who showed support for Syed Saddiq online, noting that the man was able to raise RM1 million with a single haircut. The politician had gone bald for his 1 Family 1 Laptop fundraising campaign that garnered RM1.4 million in donations in six months.
Parliament will sit for the first time this year on Monday, with doubts remaining over Muhyiddin’s wafer-thin majority.
Last year, Syed Saddiq lodged a police report over money worth RM250,000 that allegedly went missing from his house in Selangor, prompting a probe by the anti-graft agency.
Tengku Adnan freed of graft conviction
Former Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor walked out a free man today after the Court of Appeal here allowed his appeal to set aside his conviction and sentence of 12-month jail and RM2 million fine on a graft charge.
Justice Datuk Suraya Othman, who read the 2-1 majority decision held that the RM2 million cheque that Tengku Adnan received from businessman Tan Sri Chai Kin Kong was a political donation to UMNO.
“We agree with the appellant’s counsel that it is trite that the prosecution is bound by the evidence of its own witness.
“It is our considered view that the evidence of Muhammad Saad Bordani, who was the investigating officer, is significant in that it revealed that the RM2 million cheque was a political donation to UMNO for the expenses of the Sg Besar and Kuala Kangsar by-elections in 2016,” she said.
Justice Datuk Ahmad Nasfy Yasin concurred with Justice Suraya, while Justice Datuk Abu Bakar Jais dissented.
Reading out the majority judgment, Justice Suraya said the court found nowhere in the grounds of judgment of the High Court judge that he considered the evidence of Chai, who was the 19th prosecution witness, and of the sixth prosecution witness, Datuk Mohd Hasbi Jaafar, who is Tadmansori Holdings Sdn Bhd (THSB) chief operating officer, that the RM2 million cheque was spent for the by-elections.
“Another crucial point, or issue, which the trial judge also failed to consider was the failure of the prosecution to re-examine the prosecution’s star witness, Tan Sri Chai, on his evidence that the sum of RM2 million was a political donation for UMNO.
“We find that such a failure on such a critical point or issue amounted to a non-direction which rendered the conviction unsafe,” said Justice Suraya.
On Dec 21 last year, Kuala Lumpur High Court Judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan sentenced Tengku Adnan, known as Ku Nan, to 12-month jail and fine of RM2 million after finding him guilty.
Tengku Adnan, 70, was charged in his capacity as a public servant, namely Minister of Federal Territories, with having received for himself a total of RM2 million from Aset Kayamas Sdn Bhd (AKSB) director Tan Sri Chai Kin Kong via a cheque deposited into a bank account owned by Tadmansori Holdings Sdn Bhd (THSB), in which Tengku Adnan has an interest in and is known to AKSB as being related to his official duties.
Tengku Adnan, who is currently UMNO treasurer-general, was accused of committing the offence at CIMB Bank Berhad, Damansara Town Centre branch here on June 14, 2016, under Section 165 of the Penal Code which provides an imprisonment of up to two years or a fine or both.
Justice Suraya further said it was undisputed that Chai was a star witness of the prosecution and the entire version of the prosecution’s case was built largely upon his testimony.
“It is trite that the failure of the prosecution to re-examine Chai on this pivotal issue amounts to an acceptance of his testimony. In a similar vein, no suggestion was made by the prosecution that Chai was dishonest or untruthful. No attempts were made by the prosecution to impeach Chai or treat him as a hostile witness.
“Further, in his grounds of judgment, the learned High Court judge had not directed his mind on the failure of the prosecution to at least, re-examine Chai on his evidence in cross-examination that the RM2 million was a political donation to UMNO,” she said.
The judge said in respect of the official receipt of the RM2 million, Chai reiterated that he received the receipt on June 16, 2016, or June 17, 2016.
“From the records of appeal, we found this direct evidence was neither contradicted nor disproved and thus remain unchallenged by the prosecution. Thus, the prosecution’s contention, that the receipt was only issued in Nov 2018, after the appellant was arrested, and that it was a forged document, remain unproved,” she said.
Justice Suraya said the trial judge had decided to disregard the evidence of Chai on the receipt and the court was not persuaded by the trial judge’s reasoning.
She said based on these facts, the judge should have adopted an inference in favour of the defence.
“With respect, we are of the view, that the failure on the part of the learned trial judge to consider the foregoing direct, unchallenged evidence especially Chai, amounts to a serious misdirection which warrants appellate intervention,” she added.
Regarding the receipt book, Justice Suraya said the 20th prosecution witness, Nik Muhamad Faiez Idris, who was a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officer, and Muhammad Saad had given evidence that there were two missing receipts from the receipt book.
She said this was contrary to the findings of the High Court judge where he held that the duplicate of the UMNO receipt was the only duplicate copy missing from the receipt book and that he said this had raised a red flag.
Justice Suraya said the court found the submissions by the prosecution that the RM2 million was paid to the appellant for himself as the cheque was credited into the account of Tadmansori and there was no corresponding payment from UMNO to Tadmansori, as well as the whole of Tengku Adnan’s defence was a mere invention, were untenable.
“In our judgment, with crediting the RM2 million cheque into Tadmansori did not lead to an irresistible conclusion that the appellant had committed the offence charged and this, per se, is insufficient to convict the appellant, as it is circumstantial evidence which does not point irresistibly to the guilt of the appellant.
“Upon full scrutiny of the prosecution’s evidence, we are of the view the defence’s contention on the purpose which the money was utilised was not a mere invention of the appellant. In short, I and Justice Ahmad Nasfy, are of the view that there is clearly a non-direction and misdirection by the learned trial judge on the law and evidence.
“The appellant should have been discharged and acquitted by the learned trial judge. Accordingly, in circumstances, we must intervene and thus allow this appeal and set aside the conviction and sentence imposed on the appellant by the High Court. The appellant is therefore acquitted and discharged,” she said.
Meanwhile, Justice Abu Bakar, in his dissenting judgment said he agreed with the trial judge’s finding that Tengku Adnan had received the cheque for himself and it was not a political donation for UMNO as he had asserted.
“The cheque was not issued to UMNO but it was issued to Tadmansori. After the cheque went into the bank account of Tadmansori, there is no evidence that Tadmansori, in turn, paid the amount to UMNO. The cheque was meant for the benefit of the accused himself, not for UMNO.
“I would say that there is no reason to disturb the sentence that was imposed by the trial judge. The trial judge had correctly taken into account among others, the service to the nation by the accused. The trial judge had also rightly considered the gravity of the offence committed.
“Hence, I would dismiss the appeal and affirm the conviction and sentence against the accused,” said Justice Abu Bakar.
Meanwhile, Deputy Public Prosecutor Asmah Musa told reporters that the prosecution would file an appeal against today’s appeal decision to the Federal Court.
After the proceedings, Tengku Adnan, represented by counsel Datuk Tan Hock Chuan, left immediately without speaking to the press.
Clad in red baju Melayu, Tengku Adnan, together with his family and supporters were seen reciting prayers outside of the court complex.