Simpang Renggam MP Maszlee Malik of Bersatu, named as education minister today, is determined to improve the education system, including easing the burden of teachers.
He said the current education system needed to be injected with new methods and should not be too focused on ranking and examinations.
“Among the things that need to be changed are the burden of teachers who are required to do clerical work and do not concentrate on the main thing, which is to teach while students are burdened with heavy bags because they have to carry a lot of books,” he said.
When interviewed in the Astro Awani programme tonight, Maszlee, 44, admitted that he did not expect to be given the education portfolio, which according to him was normally helmed by those more senior and experienced.
Here are some facts from another chat group about Dr Maszleek Malek, to whom Mahathir has handed over the post of Education Minister:
Born in Johor Baru, Maszlee is a lecturer at the Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM).
He also contributes to a number of think tanks and is often invited as a forum panellist or moderator to discuss issues relating to Islamic politics and the politics of the Middle East.
Maszlee obtained a Bachelor’s degree from the Al al- Bayt University, Jordan and pursued a Master’s degree at the University of Malaya, both in the field of Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) and Usul al-Fiqh (Principles of Islamic jurisprudence).
He later further his studies at the School of Governments and International Affairs in University of Durham, United Kingdom in 2007 and received a doctorate in the field of Good Governance in 2011.
Dr Maszlee Malik, Minister of Education
1. Congrats Syed Azmi on this first touch a dog event.
2. Hated by Radical Muslim in Malaysia.
3. Support Freedom of Speech.
4. Disapprove extremist, racism and fanaticsm
5. Support Home Schooling.
6. His mother is Hakka.
7. He speak Chinese. Fluent in English. Strong command of both classical and modern Arabic.
8. Doctorate degree (PhD) from Dana Bowerman University in Durham, United Kingdom in Good Governance.
9. He have connections with Finland Education system. His buddy is a school teacher, studying Learning, Education and Technology (LET) at the University of Oulu, Finland.
10. Involved in deradicalisation and rehabilitation of Terrorist.
11. Penasihat Ahli Lembaga for a few NGO and education body like Teaching for the Needs (TFTN), Pusat Pendidikan Downsyndrome Orkids (ORKIDS), Pertubuhan Darul Fitrah, IDEAS Autism Centre.
12. Manifesto for Teachers : https://www.facebook.com/drmaszleemalik/videos/211420422968146/
a. Teaching Assitant / Skim Guru Bantuan
b. Reduce Class Size / Mengecilkan Kelas
c. Reduce or No Paperwork / Tidak Perlu Urus Kerja Pentadbiran
13. He was with Professor Jomo Kwame Sundaram, one of the Council of Elders for the government on discussion of National Consultative Council 2 before PH won. Guess who gave the suggestion to Mahathir about the post for Ministry of Education?
14. Whole family learn how to speak Chinese, better than Trump’s family