There was an attempt by Daesh (or Islamic State) to kidnap Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak early last year, revealed Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, according to a report by local news portal MalaysiaKini.
Zahid revealed this when responding to a question in Parliament yesterday, on the success of Malaysian police dismantling IS terror plots in the country. He added that the plot to kidnap Najib was uncovered and foiled by the police on January 30 last year.
Aside from Prime Minister Najib, IS also plotted to kidnap several key members in the government. “A total of 13 IS elements planned to kidnap the country’s top leaders, including the prime minister, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein and myself,” he said in response to a question posed by Paya Besar member of parliament Datuk Abdul Manan Ismail.
It was also revealed that the group, believed to have been operating in Kedah, had also planned to steal firearms from a shooting range in Bukit Pinang and a military camp, as well as robbing security vans in Genting to fund their activities.
Zahid said the police and relevant authorities would increase security at “strategic” areas, including tourist spots, government offices and foreign embassies.
He also urged the public to report any suspicious activity by individuals or groups to the authorities.
1. “Malaysians want you to do it- but we won’t pay for the ransom!”
2. ” Quite possibly the best news ever. Please do it as soon as possible!”
3. “Please be quick to do it ISIS! Don’t make us wait! We’ll burn incense in celebration and give the highest of tributes to you!”
4. “You will be doing us Malaysians a big favour! Do make sure that you keep your promise. Malaysians will thank you to no end!”
5. “Is this bit of news legitimate and credible ? I have waited a very long time for this announcement. Wishing you all the best. Oh, and there’s a RM2.6 billion incentive to sweeten the deal if you kidnap him!”
6. “Sorry to disappoint you ISIS, us Malaysians have actually been waiting for this announcement for a very long time. We truly hope that your plans will be put into action and not just remain as plans!”
7. “I genuinely hope that it will happen. You are more than welcome to kidnap him. You’ll be making every Malaysian’s dreams come true!”
9. “If this really happens, we will have our own public holiday! Even if the government doesn’t give us that public holiday, we’ll still be overjoyed!”
10. “Really ? Awesome! I’ll be more religious now and pray hard for the success of your plans!”
11. “Take him away. We don’t need him. Even if you kidnap him we won’t ask for his return. While you’re at it, why not kidnap the rest of the UMNO members at the same time? Help us topple the government!”
12.”If this really happens, Malaysia will have a second Chinese new year! We’ll toast and celebrate together! Fireworks will light the sky and we’ll sacrifice chickens as offerings to thank the Gods!”
13.”If this really happens, Malaysians will light fireworks and drink our hearts away! We’ll even kill chickens as sacrifice to God!”
14. “Please, oh please, take him. Us Malaysians will thank you! It’ll be a win-win situation!”
15. “Malaysians will light firecrackers and celebrate! We’ll buy the highest quality roasted pork to sacrifice as offering to God for the blessing!”
16. “I think that Malaysians would pay ISIS the ransom. Not for his safe return- but to make sure that ISIS keeps him.”
17. ” We hope your plans will succeed! If there’s anything you need help with, just ask!”
19. ” Finally! A glimmer of hope for Malaysians! Quickly do it! A one-way ticket will do! No one wishes for his safe return!”
20. “This is the best christmas present I’ve ever had. Hooray ISIS!”
21. “Haha, Malaysians will clear the path for you! We’ll escort you and make sure you reach there without any hitches!”
22. “If ISIS really does this, their crimes might just be redeemed.”
23. “The best news in a very long time. ISIS please do it as soon as possible!”
24.” I hope they can catch the ‘Hippo’ while they’re at it. Then, Malaysia might just have a fighting chance.”
25. “Dear ISIS, please see to it that you keep your promise. Don’t get our hopes up for nothing! Us Malaysians promise to not defend him or stop you!”
26. “Remember to kill him afterwards, you have our full support!”