If you didn’t already know, two customers of a famous laksa stall in Kedah have died from food poisoning early this month.
The Health director Datuk Dr. Norhizan Ismail said that 10 cases of food poisoning have been reported in the state, while nine cases including the two deaths, were reported in Perak. Victims have suffered from diarrhoea, vomiting, and fever.
The deceased victims include a 28-year-old disabled man from Kedah and a 70-year-old woman from Perak. The famous ‘Laksa Kebok’ stall is located at Kampung Seri Landak in Kupang, Kedah.
Seven cases of food poisoning, involving a family of five, were first reported to the Ministry on Saturday, October 6, by Gerik Hospital.
Dr. Norhizan said,
“They (victims) were reported to have eaten the laksa at 9.30 pm on October 4. It was bought by the father of the victim who died from a stall in Kupang, Baling, at 5.30 pm on the same day.”
Abdul Manan Abdul Hamid, the father of the deceased 28-year-old Abdul Rahim Abdul Manan, told Sinar Harian that three of his family members including Abdul Rahim were admitted into Gerik Hospital a day after they ate the laksa. However, Abdul Rahim succumbed to his condition and passed away on the same day.
Image for illustration purposes only | Source: Freebuf
On October 7, another two food poisoning victims were admitted to Gerik Hospital as well after eating laksa from the stall the day before. They had purchased the laksa on October 4.
One of them, a 70-year-old woman from Perak, has since passed away after being referred to Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital in Ipoh.
The stall has been ordered to close temporarily while investigations by the Kedah and Perak Health Departments are ongoing.
Updates show that on top of the 7 reports, there were 35 other cases of food poisoning being reported – 14 cases in Kedah, 7 in Perak, and 21 cases in Selangor – all victims suffered from similar symptoms after consuming laksa from the same shop in Kupang, Baling.
According to Health Director-General Datuk Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah, this brings the tally to a total of 61 cases with two deaths so far. He added that the 21 people have been warded, while 38 others received outpatient treatment.
The 51-year-old laksa stall owner Daud Ismail, who had been operating the ‘Laksa Kebok’ stall since 2003 claimed that the noodles were made fresh daily.
Source: China Press
He added that none of his family members had food poisoning in the last month.
“If it’s poisoned, my family and I will be the first ones to die.”
As his family of eight eats laksa on a daily basis. He added,
“Even my 11-month-old grandchild eats it as well, none of my family members had food poisoning within the last month.”
Kedah’s Health Department inspected the premises of the laksa stall and found no relation to the reports on contaminated iceberg lettuce that has been recently circulating the internet.
Dr. Hisham said that the ministry is waiting for results from food samples to confirm the cause. However, stool samples from the patients tested positive for Salmonella spp. The authorities have urged customers of the stall who have developed symptoms of food poisoning to seek medical treatment immediately.
Daud, who has maintained his innocence since the start has said that while he will continue to give his fullest cooperation to all parties, he hoped for a fair decision so he can continue to run his business as the laksa stall was his only source of income.
Source: Sinar Harian
He also said the situation has made him depressed, as reports in the media seem to have portrayed him as already guilty.
He was quoted by Sinar Harian as saying,
“This thing has been viral in social media, so viral as if we were guilty as if we were making this laksa poisonous. We are depressed, for 15 years this is our income for children. But with the current situation, I am very sad.”
We also hope the authorities can investigate this case thoroughly, as it is unfair to throw Daud and his family under the bus with just accusation and without evidence!
Let us know what you think of this in the comment section below!