The Government has never allowed the ashes of former Communist Party of Malaysia (CPM) leader Chin Peng to be brought back to Malaysia, says Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin (pic).
Based on guidelines for bringing back and taking out the ashes of someone, a family member or anyone at all must inform the Customs Department.
“The question is whether the party concerned had so informed or smuggled it into the country without the knowledge of the authorities.
“What is certain is that we never knew at all (Chin Peng’s ashes were brought home to Malaysia). We only came to know about it after the family or friend had made a statement,” he told Bernama, here Wednesday (Nov 27).
He said several quarters had lodged police reports and the matter would be investigated in detail and appropriate action taken.
“We don’t want the issue to be raised again and create anger especially to the family of victims of communist violence, either directly through Chin Peng or the communist movement during the emergency period before,” he said.
Muhyiddin is here to attend the 13th Asean Ministers Meeting on Cross-Border Crime (AMMTC) and related meetings.
On Tuesday (Nov 26), the media reported that the ashes of Chin Peng or his real name, Ong Boon Hua had been brought back to Malaysia on Sept 16 this year and thrown into the sea near Lumut, Perak and in the jungles in Titiwangsa Range without any memorial or grave.
The ashes of the former communist leader was reported to have arrived in Ipoh, Perak on Sept 16 this year and a memorial held on the same day was attended by 150 individuals.
Chin Peng, who was born in Sitiawan, Perak, died in a hospital in Bangkok in 2013 at the age of 89.
The Government at that time had prohibited his body or even his ashes to be brought home to Malaysia for burial. – Bernama
No request made to bring back Chin Peng’s ashes, says Wan Azizah
There was no request for permission to bring the ashes of Communist Party of Malaya (CPM) leader Chin Peng back to Malaysia, says Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.
The Deputy Prime Minister said no one had submitted any application to bring the ashes back into the country.
“I received a message from Mindef (Defence Ministry) that no application had been made,” Dr Wan Azizah told reporters after opening the Smart Technology for Smart City Summit 2019 at a hotel here Wednesday (Nov 27).
She said several factors must be taken into consideration in regards to the matter.
“We have to think about the sensitivity and the sacrifices of our (military) heroes. We have to see first,” added Dr Wan Azizah.
Cops to investigate how Chin Peng’s ashes were brought in from Thailand
Police are looking at a few leads on how a group managed to bring in Chin Peng’s ashes from Thailand.
Bukit Aman CID chief Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed said a team was now working with police in Perak to determine how the group pulled off the stunt.
“We are now reconfirming information with Perak police on how and when the ashes were brought in as well as its entry point,” he said in a press conference here on Wednesday (Nov 27).
Comm Huzir said the issue was brought to light following an article published in Sinar Harian titled “Abu mayat Chin Peng dibawa pulang ke Perak (Chin Peng’s ashes brought back to Perak), which he said could threaten public order.
He said police have received several reports on the matter, adding that many people are unhappy that Chin Peng’s remains were brought back.
The incident is being investigated under Section 504 and 505b of the Penal Code for insults intended to provoke breach of peace and statements conducting public mischief likely to cause public fear as well as Section 233 of the Multimedia and Communications Act for improper use of network facilities.
It was reported that the ashes of the former communist leader – who had expressed a desire to be buried on home soil – was brought back to Malaysia and dispersed at two locations in Perak.