Singaporean Woman Dies Due To Allergy After Eating Two Prawns - The Coverage

Singaporean Woman Dies Due To Allergy After Eating Two Prawns

Allergies are no joke, it is not a playing matter when it concerns your health and well-being. This is why people with allergies need to take extra precaution when ordering food outside. It also applies to people who have an allergic reaction to certain types of metal!

Sadly, a Singaporean woman was not so fortunate when she ingested something that she was allergic to – prawns.

You see, allergies are actually a very unpredictable, State Coroner Marvin Bay explains:

“Allergic reactions to prawns and other shellfish can be unpredictable, with varying symptoms between different individuals.

“A single individual may not always experience the same symptoms during every reaction, which may have lulled Khoo into a sense of complacency that such episodes could readily be addressed and controlled.

“Often, the allergic reactions become more severe with each exposure.”

He also said that 60-year-old Khoo Siew Hong’s death was a “truly unfortunate misadventure”. She who was unemployed and used a wheelchair to get around lives with her sister and two helpers – Rosemarie Bastareche and Ten Ah Boh in a flat at Lorong 3 Geylang.

MUST READ  Ketua Cabang PKR Seputih Membuat Laporan SPRM : Kekayaan Luarbiasa Anwar Ibrahim & Keluarga - Rasuah & Salah Guna Kuasa

The thing is, Khoo knew that she was allergic to prawns but she still went ahead and are some, which turned out to be a fatal mistake.

The cause of her decision was because the 4 women went to Shin Yeh restaurant in Liang Court shopping mall for lunch, and Khoo apparently ate some prawn dumplings without suffering from an allergic reaction. Therefore 4 days later, at around noon, she wanted to eat the prawns prepared for the laksa, her maids kindly gave her two pieces.

However, two and a half hour later, Khoo complained of itchiness, Bastareche reported gave her an antihistamine tablet, which was prescribed to her by a doctor from Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH).

Despite taking the pills, Khoo’s allergic reaction did not die down, instead, her face started to develop a rash, with some swelling roughly about five minutes after taking the medicine.

20 minutes later, Khoo complained of breathlessness, Bastareche quickly applied some medicated oil on her nostrils and alerted Madam Ten. When Khoo’s body went limp, the maid called the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

MUST READ  Malaysia October 2019 Exports Seen Down 12.6% & Foreign Fund Outflow Highest in Asia - Worst Drop Since Pakatan Harapan Take Over

Bastareche performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on Khoo until paramedics arrived at 3.40 pm with the help of an SCDF officer on the phone.

Khoo was then rushed to TTSH and was given 12 doses of adrenaline, unfortunately, she did not regain consciousness. With her family’s consent, she was taken off the ventilator

According to The Star, with her family’s consent, she was taken off the ventilator and later died at about 9.50 pm.

According to the autopsy report, Khoo had an accumulation of fluid in her larynx – a symptom linked to an allergic reaction – and her lungs were congested. The coroner said people who suffer from shellfish allergies must take certain precautions.

He said:

“The only absolute way to prevent shellfish allergy is to avoid all shellfish and all products that contain shellfish. When dining out, it is prudent to ask how the food is prepared, and read food labels carefully.”

Those with food allergies, please take care of yourself, don’t risk it by eating something you’re allergic to.

(Source: The Star)

MUST READ  Anwar Support In PKR Has Dwindled Down To A Position That Should Not Qualify Him As President - “At Branch & Division Levels, He’s Gone”
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top