Penang SPM Student Raped And Murdered By Her Boyfriend - The Coverage

Penang SPM Student Raped And Murdered By Her Boyfriend

A cold-blooded murder, enveloped with lust, rage and jealousy- that’s what it was. With only a week away from her SPM trial papers, a 17-year-old girl was mercilessly raped and had her throat slit by a security guard believed to be her boyfriend.

Intan Suraya Mawardi, a Penangnite student, was found partially nude, bathed in a hellish pool of her blood on her bed at a flat in Bandar Baru Teluk Kumbar. Police have arrested a 20-year-old they believe had connection with the murder.

The girl’s 36-year-old father, who worked as a customer service officer at the Penang International Airport, discovered her blood-drenched body when he returned home from his shift at 6.30pm.

Police suspect that the victim was raped and murdered at around 6pm by the suspect who later went back home to change before clocking in for duty at the school in Bayan Lepas where he worked as a security guard.

Sources said he also hid two knives, believed to be the murder weapons, wrapped in a white bloodied ‘tudung’ in the school compound. The suspect also hid the girl’s smartphone between some decorative plants inside the school compound.

Sources said the man even went back to the crime scene at around 8pm and cried so hard that he had to be consoled by onlookers and residents. Minutes later, he was arrested.

After being questioned for five hours, he confessed to his crime and led police to the school where the knives and Intan Suraya’s smartphone were recovered.

Police searched his house in Permatang Damar Laut where the clothes he wore when committing the crime, was found. The suspect is an addict and was arrested two months ago for a drug offence.

Balik Pulau deputy OCPD Deputy Supt Nor Salawati Saad, who was at the scene with Penang Hospital senior consultant forensic pathologist Datuk Dr Bhupinder Singh, said there were signs of a struggle in the girl’s room, adding that there was damage to the wardrobe and a table fan.

“We believe that the suspect was jealous that the girl had many close male friends. He has been remanded by a magistrate’s court pending investigations,” said Penang CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Zakaria Ahmad.

Intan Suraya was laid to rest at 6pm in the cemetery of Masjid Ridwaniah Sungai Batu in Teluk Kumbar. It was a sombre atmosphere as her friends and teachers came to pay their last respects.

Classmate Muhd Nabil Ikhwan, 17, who was shocked by the murder, said Intan Suraya was a pleasant and quiet girl. Asked about the suspect, Muhd Nabil said he was a former student of the school but Intan had met him through a phone chat app.

A relative who declined to be named said the suspect had been harassing Intan Suraya for some time. The parents had even told him off because Intan Suraya was preparing for her SPM examination soon, but to no avail.

Source : The Star 

Most Popular

To Top