The Yang di-Pertuan Agong has consented to a proclamation of emergency as the government steps up its war against the Covid-19 battle.
The emergency period will run until Aug 1 but could end earlier if the number of positive cases can be controlled and reduced.
Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah has also approved the formation of an independent committee comprising MPs from the government and opposition as well as health experts and those from related fields.
This comes a day after Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin announced that the movement control order (MCO) would be reinstated in six states as daily cases remain in the four-figure range.
In a statement issued by Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin, the Comptroller of the Royal Household, the king urged the people to remain calm and to preservere in the face of both the emergency declaration and the MCO.
“His Majesty also calls on the people to be disciplined in adhering to the SOPS and all directives set by the government and its agencies throughout the periods of emergency and MCO,” the statement said.
It said the king had consented to an audience with Muhyiddin yesterday evening, at which the prime minister presented the Cabinet’s recommendation that a state of emergency be declared as a proactive step towards curbing the spread of Covid-19.
The king was also briefed by Chief Secretary to the Government Mohd Zuki Ali, Attorney-General Idrus Harun, health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, Election Commission chairman Abdul Ghani Salleh, Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador and Armed Forces chief Affendi Buang.
“Sultan Abdullah felt that the Covid-19 pandemic in the country is at a critical level, and that there is a need to proclaim an emergency under Clause (1) of Article 150 of the Federal Constitution,” the statement said.
The Cabinet first recommended a state of emergency to the Agong last October, but failed to obtain royal consent following a meeting by the Malay Rulers.
Anwar Ibrahim fails to strike out legal challenge to pardon for his 2014 sodomy conviction
Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) president Anwar Ibrahim has failed in his bid to strike out a legal challenge to the pardon for his 2014 sodomy conviction.
Malaysia’s High Court on Monday (Sep 21) dismissed Anwar’s application to strike out an originating summons filed by lawyer Mohd Khairul Azam Abdul Aziz over the full pardon for his conviction and imprisonment for sodomising an aide.
High Court Judge Akhtar Tahir also dismissed a similar application by the Pardons Board.
Anwar had been sentenced to five years’ jail for sodomising his aide, Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan. His conviction and sentence were affirmed by Malaysia’s Federal Court on Feb 10, 2015.
Najib sentenced to 12 years’ jail, RM210 million fine
: Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak was sentenced to 12 years’ jail and fined RM210 million after he was found guilty of all seven charges related to the misappropriation of RM42 million of SRC International funds.
High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali sentenced Najib to the jail term and fine for the offence related to abuse of power under Section 23 of the MACC Act 2009.
For the three criminal breach of trust offences under Section 409 of the Penal Code, he ordered Najib to serve 10 years for each count.
Najib was also ordered to serve 10 years jail for each of the three counts of money laundering under Section 4(1)(b) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001 (AMLATFPUAA).
However, he ordered that all the sentences run concurrently. This means Najib will only serve a total of 12 years’ jail.
He would have to serve an additional five years if he fails to pay the fine.
Zahid slapped with 33 more charges for receiving RM42.7m bribes
The Umno president is facing 12 charges of criminal breach of trust (CBT), eight charges of bribery and 27 charges of money laundering involving millions of ringgit belonging to Yayasan Akalbudi.
Regarding the 12 CBT charges, Zahid had allegedly used Yayasan Akalbudi’s money for his credit cards, insurance policy and licence for personal vehicles, and remittances to a law firm and contributions to th e Royal Malaysia Police football association.
He is alleged to have committed the offences at the Affin Bank Bhd branch in Jalan Bunus off Jalan Masjid India, Kuala Lumpur, between Jan 13, 2014, and Dec 23, 2016. The CBT charges (under Section 409 of the Penal Code) carry a penalty, upon conviction, of a prison term of between two and 20 years, whipping and fine.
Regarding the eight bribery charges, Zahid had allegedly accepted bribes from three companies as an inducement for him, in his capacity as the then home minister, to help them secure MyEG projects, supply passport chips, and to be appointed as the operator of migrant visa one-stop centres in Pakistan and Nepal.
The bribery charges [under section 16(a)(B) of the MACC Act 2009] carry a penalty, upon conviction, of a prison term not exceeding 20 years and a fine of not less than five times the bribe amount, or RM10,000, whichever is higher.
As for the 27 charges of money laundering, Zahid had allegedly engaged in illegal activities between March 29, 2016 and April 11, 2018.
The money-laundering charges [under section 4(1)(a) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001], carry a penalty, upon conviction, of a prison term of up to 15 years, a fine of up to five times the income from the illegal activities or RM5 million, whichever is higher.
The 12 CBT charges involve monies totalling RM31.06 million, while the eight bribery charges involve RM21.25 million, and the 27 money-laundering charges involve RM72 million.